Friday, September 15, 2017

IAN HAMILTON'S AVA LEE'S CRIME FICTION SERIES

I discovered this series of crime fiction with a female protagonist by accident.

This series is about a lady...Ava Lee, forensic accountant who's a Canadian citizen of Chinese origin, living in Toronto and travels all over the world (most the far east).

I like this series for many reasons: the plot moves fast; I can get a sense of the crime culture in the far east ...it may be real or untrue but it seems pretty real to me! This is the first series where I seem to get a handle on crime and criminals of the far east countries.

I love the fact that it's a female protoganist
I am loving the fact that he does not spend pages and pages on sex like the other writers seem to do.
I am learning so much about financial crimes and how money travels that I am now accepting that finance or economics need not be boring!
I am seeing how on what a large scale crime exists  in certain countries like China. And how the army, governments are involved . And so many things are not even considered as crime! manufacturing of knockoffs especially!
I was shocked to discover that MBA grads and other educated people run criminal organizations! I don't know whether to laugh, get angry or admire!
The style of writing is not great at all but I am a person who is satisfied with a running plot and happy to  read about places  I have never been.

Here is the list of books.


The Water Rat of Wanchai
(2011)
 

The Disciple of Las Vegas
(2011)
 

The Wild Beasts of Wuhan
(2012)
 

The Red Pole of Macau
(2012)
 The red pole... is set in Macau, an autonomous region near Hong Kong.

The Scottish Banker of  Surabaya
   (2013)
 
 

The Dragon Head of Hong Kong
(2013)
 

The Two Sisters of Borneo
(2014)
 The two..is set in Borneo an island belonging to three countries (Brueni, Malaysia and Indonesia)

The King of Shanghai
(2014)
 

The Princeling of Nanjing
(2016)
 

The Couturier of Milan
(2017)
 The Cou...is set in Italy and Hong Kong and China.

No comments:

Post a Comment